According to Jef Rouner over at Houston Press, there are only 14 black women who are playable characters in video games. I'll list them below. But first, Rouner and his friend have some restrictive, but reasonable rules for how they made their count:
- No characters count simply because their skin color can be altered.
- No characters who previously existed prior to the video game (so no characters that derive from comic books, movies, cartoons, etc.).
- No characters from fighting games where you can play every character.
And, here is the list they came up with:
2. Shinobu in No More Heroes 2:
3. Purna in Dead Island:
4. Rochelle in Left for Dead:
5. Aveline de Grandpre in Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation:
6. Vella in Broken Age:
7. Nillin in Remember Me:
8. Vivienne in Dragon Age: Inquisition:
9. Maggie in Evolve:
10. D’arci Stern in Urban Chaos:
11. Samantha Alexander in Hunter: The Reckoning:
12. Clementine in The Walking Dead:
13. Jade in Beyond Good and Evil:
14. Fran in Final Fantasy XII:
Is that really it? Anyone out there think of any names missing from that list? I mean, there's a ton of video games out there. Is it really just 14?
Anyone think there's any names listed among the 14 that shouldn't be?
Finally, what are the numbers like for Latinas? What about other groups? It would be interesting to develop lists for other groups using the set of 3 rules above and see what happens. Maybe anyone out there can list all the characters for a given group they can think of.